Dr. Po-Hsuan (Paul) Hsu 許博炫 教授
Professor and Yushan Scholar
Department of Quantitative Finance
College of Technology Manangement, NTHU
firstname.lastname@example.org | +886-3-5162156
Po-Hsuan Hsu received his bachelor degree in International Business, his master degree in Management of Technology, and his Ph.D. degree in Finance. His research focuses on innovation economics and financial markets, but he also touches on sustainability and financial econometrics. His research has been published in prestigious journals in Economics, Finance, Technology Management, Accounting, Information System, etc. His papers won the best paper awards in various international and Asian conferences, and have been covered in media for many times. He has also reviewed for papers for journals in all these fields, and is serving on the editorial boards for various journals. He is also active in organizing international conferences in Innovation Economics, and has served in the executive board of Asia Innovation and Entrepreneurship Association (AIEA). He has also won the best paper awards in various international and Asian conferences. He was also a Batten Fellow of Batten Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation of University Virginia's Darden School of Business and is currently a TPRI Fellow of Technology & Policy Research Initiative of Boston University.
Ph.D. and M.Phil., Finance and Economics Division, Graduate School of Business, Columbia University, 2007
M.B.A. in Management of Technology with Honors, Graduate Institute of Management of Technology, National Chiao-Tung University (Minors in Applied Mathematics and Statistics), 2001
B.B.A. in International Business, Department of International Business, College of Management, National Taiwan University, 1998
Professor and Yushan Scholar, College of Technology Management, National Tsing Hua University, 2019-present (visiting from summer 2018)
Professor, Finance Area, Faculty of Business and Economics, University of Hong Kong, 2011-2019 (on leave from summer 2018)
Assistant Professor, School of Business, University of Connecticut, 2007-2011
PAPER LISTS, CITATIONS, AND MEDIA
SSRN downloads (and a complete list of working/published papers): https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=455934
Google Scholar citations (>4,500 in May 2022): https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=Txx-kokAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
Scopus citations (>1,400 in Nov. 2021): https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=8974031100
Academic/research forum coverage: Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, Duke Law School FinReg Blog, UCLA Anderson Review, Knowledge@Wharton, PRI blog, and AsiaGlobal Online.
International media coverage: Wall Street Journal, South China Morning Post (南華早報), Wonkblog of The Washington Post, World Trademark Review, The Medicine Maker, Private Equity Finding, Harvard Business Review, and The Chronicle of Philanthropy
22. “Technological innovations and aggregate risk premiums,” Journal of Financial Economics, 94 (2), 264-279, 2009 (Single-authored 唯一作者)
- Real business cycle models and calibrations can be downloaded here (dropped in the published version upon the reviewer's comment).
21. “The pollution premium,” with Kai Li (PKU) and Chi-Yang Tsou, Journal of Finance, forthcoming, 2022
- A general equilibrium model is derived for pollution premium here
20. “Currency volatility and global technological innovation,”with Mark P. Taylor, Zigan Wang, and Qi Xu, Journal of International Economics, forthcoming, 2022
19. “Staggered boards and product innovations: Evidence from Massachusetts State Bill HB 5640,”with I-Ju Chen and Yanzhi Wang, Research Policy, forthcoming, 2022
18. “More cash, less innovation: The effect of the American Jobs Creation Act on patent value,” with Heitor Almeida, Dongmei Li, and Kevin Tseng, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 56(1), 1-28, 2021 (lead article 領銜文章)
17. “Patent thickets, stock returns, and conditional CAPM,” with Hsiao-Hui Lee and Tong Zhou, Management Science, forthcoming, 2021
- Data of patent thickets and other patent-related variables can be downloaded here.
- Internet Appendix for a general equilibrium model based on Gomes, Koagn, and Zhang (2003) can be downloaded here.
16. “Rich on paper? Chinese firms' academic publications, patents, and market values,” with David Hsu and Qifeng Zhao, Research Policy, 50(9), 104319, 2021
15. “Valuation of new trademarks,” with Dongmei Li, Qin Li, Siew Hong Teoh, and Kevin Tseng, Management Science, forthcoming, 2020
14. “Leviathan Inc. and corporate environmental engagement,” with Hao Liang and Pedro Matos, Management Science, forthcoming, 2021
- Data of state ownership and related data can be downloaded here.
13. “Consolidating product lines via mergers and acquisitions: Evidence from the USPTO trademark data,” with Kai Li (UBC), Xing Liu, and Hong Wu, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, forthcoming, 2021
12. “Corporate R&D and stock returns: International Evidence,” with Kewei Hou, Shiheng Wang, Akiko Watanabe, and Yan Xu, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, forthcoming, 2020
11. “Benchmarking U.S. university patent value and commercialization efforts: A new approach,” with David Hsu, Tong Zhou, and Arvids Ziedonis, Research Policy, 50(1), 104076, 2021
- Internet Appendix for a list of university assignee codes can be downloaded here.
10. “The Oscar goes to…: High-tech firms’ acquisitions in response to rivals’ technology breakthroughs,” with I-Ju Chen, Micah Officer, and Yanzhi Wang, Research Policy, 49(7), 104078, 2020 (Corresponding author 通訊作者)
9. “The real effect of smoking bans: Evidence from corporate innovation,” with Huasheng Gao, Kai Li (UBC), and Jin Zhang, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 55(2), 387-427, 2020
8. “Innovative originality, profitability, and stock returns,” with David Hirshleifer and Dongmei Li, Review of Financial Studies, 31(7), 2553-2605, 2018 (Corresponding author 通訊作者)
- Attention models of Internet Appendix can be downloaded here.
7. “Natural disasters, technology diversity, and operating performance,” with Hsiao-Hui Lee, Shu-Cing Peng, and Long Yi, Review of Economics and Statistics, 100(4), 619-630, 2018 (Corresponding author 通訊作者)
- A production model in Internet Appendix can be downloaded here.
6. “Innovation strategy of private firms,” with Huasheng Gao and Kai Li (UBC), Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 53 (1), 1-32, 2018 (Lead article 領銜文章)
5. “The real effects of real earnings management: Evidence from innovation,” with Frederick Bereskin and Wendy Rotenberg, Contemporary Accounting Research, 35 (1), 525-557, 2018
4. “What affects innovation more: Policy or policy uncertainty?” with Utpal Bhattacharya, Xuan Tian, and Yan Xu, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 52 (5), 1869-1901, 2017
3. “Technical analysis: Is it still beating the foreign exchange market?” with Mark P. Taylor and Zigan Wang, Journal of International Economics, 102, 188-208, 2016
2. “Financial development and innovation: Cross-country evidence,” with Xuan Tian and Yan Xu, Journal of Financial Economics, 112 (1), 116-135, 2014
1. “Innovative efficiency and stock returns,” with David Hirshleifer and Dongmei Li, Journal of Financial Economics, 107 (3), 632-654, 2013
HONORS AND SERVICES
Associate Editor, Journal of Banking & Finance
Advisory Editor, Research Policy
Executive Board, Asia Innovation and Entrepreneurship Association (AIEA)
Advisory Committee (Academic), Graduate School of Innovation and Technology Management, College of Business, KAIST
Co-chair of executive committee and local organizer, 9th Darden-Cambridge Judge-HKU FBE Entrepreneurship and Innovation Research Conference, 2018
Co-chair of conference committee, 10th Global Entrepreneurship and Innovation Research Conference, 2019
Organizer, HKU Symposium on Innovation Strategy and Entrepreneurial Finance, spring 2015, fall 2015, fall 2016
Organizer, Hong Kong Joint Finance Research Workshop, summer 2014
Distinguished Faulty Fellow, KAIST ISPI Innovation and Entrepreneurship Research Boot Camp, 2021